I will never forget the excitement I felt when I was pulled into the office of my Sr. IT Director and given the opportunity to participate in an implementation project for a new client/server HR application called “PeopleSoft.”
That was some 25 years ago, and to quote the Grateful Dead, “What a long…strange trip it’s been…”
You see, to reflect upon that area, so long ago, is truly a step back in time. Back then, the people on the other side of my cubical wall were talking about this new type of computer called the “Internet,” making support calls to pagers (not cell phones) trying to provide IT support in the middle of the night, mainframe coding, and lots of COBOL, JCL, CICS, TSO/ISPF on the green screen. Even sending an email outside the four walls of the company seemed like a far-fetched thought out of Star Trek.
So the opportunity for me to jump on a client/server PeopleSoft implementation sounded like a great opportunity to me! Sign me up! Little did I know at the time that it would be a decision that would lead to a consulting career spanning the last quarter century.
There came numerous implementations and upgrades, new functionality, sleepless nights, and platform changes. Then there was Oracle’s hostile takeover of PeopleSoft, with clients moving in mass from Oracle/PeopleSoft to SAP. Eventually, Oracle’s Cloud product arrived in the form of Oracle HCM Cloud…which brings us to the here and now.
And since all good things must come to an end, well, she arrived for PeopleSoft five years ago with the final release of version 9.2 in March of 2013. And although you have Oracle product support through 2024, I have to ask the obvious question:
What are you waiting for?
Your current situation:
You purchased PeopleSoft what seems like a lifetime ago and invested blood, sweat, and tears to get the system up and running. You customized the application to mimic your existing business processes, managed your environment, and maintained your patches and application releases. You were able to tweak the application a little more to give you additional functionality. IT continues to respond fairly quickly to your needs. Your processes run nightly, monthly, quarterly, and annually, and reports are tailored to you. Lo and behold, it works, it really works. It meets your needs.
So why would you go through all this pain again? Why would you make the leap to invest in a new Cloud application when your PeopleSoft system works just fine? Okay, that is one school of thought, but overall, what is that thought truly costing your organization? Let’s take a look…
5 Reasons why you should move to Oracle HCM Cloud now:
1. Attract top talent – In a competitive employment environment, potential employees are evaluating your organization and its image in the market as much as you are evaluating them for a potential job. Therefore, how you reach them and present to them is as important as what you have to offer them as one of your employees. Example: how exactly are you reaching and influencing millennials? Having the latest tools that allow your organization to continuously identify, attract, recruit, and onboard top talent is essential for you to remain competitive. Investing in cloud technology puts those tools in your hands to become a preferred employer of choice.
2. Implement best-of-breed industry practices – You customized your ERP application to reflect your business processes, but you have to question if these processes are truly “best-of-breed industry practices.” Where did they originate from in your organization and from what era? Dig deep enough and eventually you will find that these existing processes require an overhaul, as they are not leading industry standards anymore. Cloud computing is designed to serve the overall market by offering best-of-breed practices that can be adopted to streamline your existing operations in order to have true impact. Implementing cloud-based processes will help you elevate your organizational operations and maximize efficiency.
3. Greater insight into your business – Cloud computing has taken a holistic approach to running your HCM operations. From a comprehensive hire-to-retire approach, you now have the ability to properly manage your processes, offering services to your employees that will increase your overall retention rate. Cloud computing now offers an in-depth analysis of your HCM operations to quickly identify top performers, show where you are attracting real talent, any skill gaps in your organization, and comparing your compensation to the market. Having insight and the ability to timely adjust your processes based on that information will keep your organization competitive in the market space.
4. Reduced overall cost – Streamlining organizational responsibilities while leveraging best-of-breed industry practices is the aim of cloud computing, eliminating the need for on-premises applications. Multiple servers, countless supporting software applications, routine system and application upkeep, and numerous associates dedicated to existing application maintenance is costly to any organization. By migrating to the HCM Cloud, your HCM system and its environment are maintained to the highest level of industry standards, providing you with the ability to redirect those associated maintenance dollars to other areas of your organization. ERP maintenance is now the responsibility of the application provider. This allows you to remain focused on what is important to your organization, leveraging the HCM Cloud functionality, tools, and processes to advance your business forward.
5. Ease of transition – The biggest misunderstanding in transitioning to the Oracle HCM Cloud from your ERP application is just that—it’s a transition, not a completely new implementation. Cloud technology is built on the premise that a majority of its new clients have existing ERP applications. The toolsets are developed around this premise for ease of use. The ability to leverage current application structures and datasets reduces the transition time and decreases the impact to the organization, making the transition much simpler than a complete new application install.
In the very near future, your PeopleSoft application is going to inevitably cost your organization more than the value it provides. There are no new releases coming and the continued support is going to decrease, as there is less demand in the market to support it. Responsibly developing a plan that will provide for your organization to move to the Cloud will ease this transition while reducing the impact to the overall organization.
Now is the time to be planning the move to the Oracle HCM Cloud.
Now is the time to be laying a path to the future of HCM operations.
Now is the time to educate key individuals in the organization on the benefits of cloud computing for your organization.
Now is the time!
So again, I ask the obvious question:
What are you waiting for?
Gregory Bair – Infolob Solutions, your HCM Expert – he can be reached at email@example.com
Infolob Solutions is an Oracle Managed Platinum Partner that specializes in helping organizations just like yours in transitioning to the Oracle HCM Cloud. If you and your organization are considering this transition, please contact us so our Oracle HCM Cloud experts may help you.